AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I might be half a bubble out but...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 12/1/2020 09:23 (#8637266 - in reply to #8636866)
Subject: RE: I might be half a bubble out but...

The posts like to move while we’re driving them due to deflecting off all the tree roots. The bottoms of the posts will usually deflect and be off 1-2”. Sometimes they take right off and move over 4” so we’ll pull it and start over. If it’s nice root free ground they generally go straight down. I like the ho pac as when the top of the post is off I can just push it straight and vibrate for a second and it straightens out. I have a 3” deep pipe that’s slightly bigger than the post welded to the plate bottom for holding the post.

A pounder with a post hugger can get them straighter but this is way quicker when dealing with frost and ugly hills you can’t drive a tractor on. There’s one contractor locally who I’m always amazed at how straight he gets his posts are and he uses a wheatheart pounder.

Biggest post I’ve driven is only a 8” about 4’ deep in 6” of frost. A neighbour was building elk fence and could sink 18” power poles 6’ deep for corner braces in the winter. Not sure what he had for a vibrator though. These are 4-5” and can drive most of them in 5-10 seconds or so.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)