AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vertical twin mixer grinding hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 12/1/2020 10:44 (#8637390 - in reply to #8635321)
Subject: RE: Vertical twin mixer grinding hay?

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

I use a 804 NDE to mix my feed for calves and cows.  Right now I have a surplus of two year old wet sudan grass bales, and I am trying to feed some light calves slowly to turn out in the spring.  I am grinding a dry grass bale, a wet alfalfa bale, a bale of stalks, and a wet sudan grass bale into the same load.  They are 4x5 wet bales, and 4x6 dry bales.  It really makes a big difference how you set the adjustable limiters (I don't know the proper term) that are on the side of the tub.  I have them almost all the way out so that as you load the bales, they travel around and around more than just sit in one place and get cut up.  Also, the order I load the bales makes a big difference.  If I load a wet bale, then the dry, then end with a wet, it all grinds up a lot faster.  Also, when I am mixing a load with a lot of grain and byproducts, I always put the bale in first.  It seems like on my single auger, that if it is half full of grain type product, that if you then throw in a bale, it takes a long time to grind up as it can't as easily fall down into the tub as far -  as the grain holds it up off the floor too much?

By the time I load the four bales, throw in some corn/product, and throw in a bag of mineral, it is time to head to where I am going to feed them.  10 minutes after I am done loading, it is ready to feed out.  I also have a water hose running into the tub if I am loading more than one or two dry bales.

I am cheating though in that I am using bales baled by our Vermeer Pro baler with chopper knives, and a bale shear that cuts the bale in half, and removes the net wrap to load the bales with.  Those two things, along with sharp knives make a huge difference in mixing.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.......and feed a beef.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)