AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy & feather supply management sector cashes in again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

phishstik
Posted 12/1/2020 14:10 (#8637802 - in reply to #8634466)
Subject: RE: Dairy & feather supply management sector cashes in again

Eastern ON
Every time the government goes to the bargaining table supply management suffers, should we just keep taking the hits? The first time paid out for their amazing bargaining skills was a fiacso, I think that was for losing market on TPP. We had to apply for an approved list of equipment that would modernize your farm. Never mentioned how many times you could apply or how long the program would run. Some guys had robot milker half paid for, some like us got funding for $7k and when we went to apply for the second round - sorry no more money.
I dunno how it is for the feather guys but dairy has so much red tape it's hard to get anyone excited to get into it anymore. Look in Ontario Farmer or any local newspaper, you'll find plenty of dairy farms up for sale. Don't see any feathers. We have random inspections from the milk board, CQM loggin, animal welfare inspections from vets and soon a 3rd party "independent" inspector coming to the farm, who pays for all of that? Eventually the consumer. Our marketing isn't even talking about it to the public for some reason, do any Canadians know what CQM is? Or how high our standards are compared to the rest of the world? They just pay for an "expensive" product in the grocery store and a see big equipment on the farms and figure "look at those rich farmers" must be that "dairy cartel". Now with these payouts the public will go ever more nuts. Yet none of them are buying dairy farms, nobody wants their life chained to a barn I guess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)