AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Used laptop to run Linux -- What am I looking for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ktululives
Posted 11/24/2020 17:21 (#8621768 - in reply to #8618768)
Subject: RE: Used laptop to run Linux -- What am I looking for?

I've used linux almost exclusively since around 2009. I bought a refurbished laptop off Amazon a year or two ago for ~250 and installed Ubuntu on it. It was a Dell laptop, came with 4gb of RAM and a 128GB SSD, Core i5 processor. I upgraded to 16gb of RAM - I think 4-8gb is fine for most people, (I was running into OOM problems that was related to a specific program, but I definitely appreciate having the extra RAM anyway) and put in a larger SSD I had laying around. I'm very happy with the set-up.

I think modern versions of mainstream linux distributions will run as intended on pretty much any computer designed for Windows 7 or newer. 4gb of RAM would be fine for average use (web browsing and email and the like), how much storage you need depends a lot on what you do, I typically make a 20-30gb partition to install the OS in and then have a seperate data partition (makes it easier to reinstall the OS or install a different one without moving any data around) and that's always been God's plenty to hold the operating system and the applications I use.

Edited by ktululives 11/24/2020 17:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)