AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Used laptop to run Linux -- What am I looking for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Nate B.
Posted 11/24/2020 05:04 (#8620140 - in reply to #8618768)
Subject: RE: Used laptop to run Linux -- What am I looking for?

Bremen, KS
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 (i5 quad core) that I run Debian on without complaint. I'm not sure how long I've had it, seven or eight years, maybe longer, at this point. I updated it to 8 GB of RAM some years ago and an SSD a few years back. It is still quite snappy and runs the Gnome desktop under Wayland just fine. Some programs don't work well with Wayland yet so I can log out and log in with Xfce under Xorg for them. That's kind of a pain but an infrequent one.

The Thinkpad series has long been a line friendly to Linux. The first one I tried, a 760ED back in '99 was not as the sound and internal modem were of the "win modem" variety and IBM never released any drivers for using Linux on it. After that I got a 390e, T23, T41, T42, T60 and now the T410 which has lasted me the longest of the lot. At the time I bought it as an "off lease" unit via an eBay seller. I still have the T23 and keep it for programming Kenwood farm radios with the software that runs on FreeDOS as it has a hardware COM port.

A Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB or Ram, an LED monitor with integrated sound through HDMI, a mouse and keyboard would make a quite capable kiosk machine for Web surfing, though I found watching YouTube videos doesn't work very well. I'm not sure about other video sources. The ARM based computers are still lagging a bit to fully replace an Intel/AMD system but they're getting closer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)