AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The end of Intel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Original Greaser Bob
Posted 11/15/2020 08:39 (#8608057 - in reply to #8607629)
Subject: RE: The end of Intel

Altoona, WI
TheGleaner - 11/15/2020 01:14

Describe who the "PC industry" is please as #1 & #2 Dell-EMC and HP-Cray don't have anything that screams "apple"

You certainly got that right. ;)

They were using benchmark comparisons of the Mac lineup vs currently the most popular laptops or PCs. I will be the devil's advocate here and state that might not be a fair comparison. Those who decide to go with Apple computers are not the type who would opt for what is currently the hot ticket item in the PC world. Kind of like a Mercedes vs Chevy decision. Crap, now that I think about it, Apple was being quite deceptive. Forget that I even brought the topic up. ;). LOL

All joking aside, your are correct that ARM typically handled lightweight operating systems. That has now changed. It has been common knowledge over the past few years that smartphone and tablet chips have been closing the horsepower gap between themselves and PCs. That day has obviously arrived. The fact that these new ARM chips are so powerful, so fast, and so efficient, will force the Wintel industry to switch. This WILL require Microsoft to produce a version of Windows that will run natively on ARM systems - or they may make a similar decision they made when they missed the smartphone boat and throw up the white flag with Windows. But what do the masses out there really want? More of the stale old Windows and related software or the flashy stuff they are running on their phones and tablets. All I have been seeing over the past number of years from software developers is staleness in desktop software and all resources being thrown at phone and tablet apps. This is why I stated that Ag software developers need to be taking heed of this. The PC industry is not going to retain the old, clunky, Wintel systems just to please the small handful of farmers out there that want to run Farmworks forever.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)