AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ear corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TWB
Posted 11/1/2020 07:56 (#8579299 - in reply to #8577848)
Subject: RE: Ear corn

I used to feed ear corn to weaned calves and replacement heifers that I kept. I raise about 8 to 10 acres a year. I would picked it with a New Idea 309 one row snapper picker and I had three gravity box wagons ( 165 bushel size ) that I would fill up and then unload in a crib. I had couple of old wooden cribs and last year I raise corn I built a round wire crib out of welded wire. I use a six foot tall roll of the welded wire and built a 12 foot wood floor set on concrete blocks to get it off the ground. I made a bottom ring with the welded wire on the wood floor and set my corn elevator up to dump the ear corn in the center of the wire crib and fill it up almost to the top of the six wire ring, left enough room to place the second welded wire ring on top of the first ring ( I put about foot of the second ring inside the first ring ) and started putting more corn n it. I just did two rings high and fill it with ear corn till it was rounded off on top, then covered with a tarp. It did ok for extra storage because my other two cribs was full.
As feeding the ear corn I would grind a load with a New Holland 355 grinder mixer, add supplements and unload it into a empty gravity box wagon to hand feed calves out of.
I would also when I was about finish picking I would leave the three wagons loaded and grind out them. I also had a 14 foot flatbed wagon that I could put side boards on it and pick it full of corn and grind out it also. Gave me little extra storage.
One thing about earn corn it take a lot of storage even raising just 8 or 10 acres.

Edited by TWB 11/1/2020 08:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)