AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Row Spacing for extreme fringe corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NOCO_Farmer
Posted 11/11/2020 10:35 (#8599999 - in reply to #8575721)
Subject: RE: Corn Row Spacing for extreme fringe corn

NE Colorado
My guess is the 90Y04 dropped ears, it has a nasty habit of doing that, but guys run a lot of it around here on irrigated and dryland. I prefer to get up closer to the 2500 gdu range. But it is interesting, I tried dekalb for 3 years and only 1 of those years did I think it did "ok" but only average with the rest of everything else. 4 years ago we were 100% Pioneer and it has been getting less and less acres each year. Gets old paying more for less, and then the extremely low ear set, and not yielding more...

I plant a lot of RSC 4848, working in some 4570, and trying some others. In Pioneer its 0157, and looking at others. The FBN I had this year (94 day conv) out yielded the P by 6 bushel on average, which for this year was a lot.

In terms of spacing we have tried 15, 20, 30, 40, and 60 throughout the years and we are back to 30. for 3 years ran side by sides with our 2 planters one on 30s the other on 60s same varieties same fertility, etc, the 60s never beat the 30s and on average the 30s were 3 bu better. My theory is the 60 may hang on a little longer but it takes a larger rain for it to have the same impact of perking the crop back up if its hurting. We also ran corn on corn checks behind these with 60 on 60, 30 on 60 and 30 on 30 and there was no noticeable difference there either. Also, want to tag on that consistently our CoC has been better than first year corn on stripper stubble like you mentioned. We are thinking wheat takes more moisture than we originally thought (you fallow ahead of wheat but not ahead of corn so which uses more moisture?) The key for CoC is ground cover, if you don't have cover things go down hill in a hurry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)