AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why doesn't corn yield more the more equidistant spaced it is?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wingman1963
Posted 10/18/2020 19:02 (#8552219 - in reply to #8552031)
Subject: RE: Why doesn't corn yield more the more equidistant spaced it is?

Gruver Tx
I’m playing with 60” corn and 2:1 skip on 30”. I had two seed dealers pick hybrids with prostrate leaf architecture. I did four pops. Of skip and 60”. The highest yielding was 30” corn at 34000 followed by 54000 in row pop skip and 68000 in 60”. I wish I had gone higher in row pops on 2:1 skip and 60” corn. I figured somewhere in the middle Range population would be the sweet spot but the higher pops. got closest to 30”. Second year trying this experiment so I learned a lot that challenged my conventional wisdom. I was studying narrow row corn before going down this road. The more open canopy seems to get more solar energy to the plant leaves. I strip tilled on 30” spacing this year and next year I want to put same amount fert per acre put plumb hoses to double fertilizer under row on 60” and 1.5 rate on 2:1 skips. Maybe pick a taller hybrid that can collect more sunlight and work on cover crop selection to feed and cool corn. Anyway a little off topic but was an interesting experiment on corn response to population and light. I have always wanted to try planting a field twice in two opposite directions and see how that would turn out to simulate a box pattern with out having to have an ultra narrow planter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)