AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gun purchase, pheasant hunting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

bkadds
Posted 10/13/2020 20:41 (#8544758 - in reply to #8544169)
Subject: RE: Gun purchase, pheasant hunting

Dalhart, Texas
Don't buy a Remington 1100 unless it comes with a case of WD-40 to keep it running. I would consider any Benelli as they make great guns and are what I have shot both times while in Argentina on high volume dove hunts. They will hold their value and function flawlessly after cases of shells. Clean them and shoot cases once again. I would get a 12 gauge if you think you might shoot skeet or trap as that is the customary gauge. A 20 gauge will bring down a pheasant just as well as a 12. Frankly, a 20 gauge American Derby side by side is my chosen gun for dove and pheasant. Get #4 shot in a heavier load designed for pheasants. They can be tough to bring down if you aren't solidly on them. If you shoot a little behind or below them like many of us are prone to do on occasion you had better keep an eye on where they land. Be prepared to get there quickly if you don't have a dog as they can run 20 miles by the time you cover 100 yards. As far as a choke, I would use a modified or improved cylinder as your first choice and second would be a full.
I have been hunting pheasant for 35 plus years so if you have any other questions-fire away. Most hunters are great people and love to pass on what they have learned through the years.
Where are you hunting? Here the bird numbers are terrible due to the drought.
My son shoots skeet competitively with a Benelli M2.

Edited by bkadds 10/13/2020 20:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)