AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

littlejo
Posted 9/9/2020 13:05 (#8485082 - in reply to #8485048)
Subject: RE: Feeding cow

Big Sky Country
Fairly common here to gather your cows in October, calves have been forward contracted, Weaned on the truck.
Work cows while you got them captured, send drys and culls to town.

Now you can do your banking and next yr planning. Replacement market will get good about thanksgiving.

So--- it's about low point of cow market. I'm thinking it's about 8 yrs outa 10 that a guy could buy cows, put some weight on them and move them up a grade or two. And sell into a stronger market.

So, two or three kicks at the can.

I can see myself doing this in a yr or two. Let my grass grow all growing season. Feed alfalfa on it for protein supplement. A full feed every three days works good, at that a ton will winter half a dozen for a month.. Run about 4 times the cows for maybe 3 months. If borrowing $$, it'll be short term and I got a dandy bank. It might turn into where I buy them local, save the commission ---2.75 Percent here---and most of the trucking---don't feel confident enough enough now to put value

on cow that's fair to both parties.

We'd keep a few of our raised cows, we trail on moves, it'd be nice to have some leaders that know the fields. And my boss might leave w/o some baby calves.

Sell them on the hook, probably in Idaho. We believe in mineral and health program, Probably find some pregnant ones, should add a little gravy. I've

been pondering this for a while. Any input appreciated.

Oh ----and the thinner the cow, the better the conversion.

Edited by littlejo 9/9/2020 13:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)