AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Supplement grazing calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 9/3/2020 16:50 (#8474376 - in reply to #8474307)
Subject: RE: Supplement grazing calves

West Central Illinois
NwmoW900 - 9/3/2020 15:57

I am right around 2 or under a day. 5wt calves up to 750. Buy calves now and sell after first of year.

I wouldn't be afraid to go all gluten i didn't have any problems with fleshiness and the last bunch i sold were smaller framed heifers so definitely more prone to become dough girls. If you go all gluten though since your phosphorous is going to be much higher with byproduct vs. straight corn you'll need additional calcium to keep in check.

Right now I feed an additional 0.15 lb. calcium carbonate per head along with the 5 lb. gluten to 5 weight heifers on grass. Right now those same 500 lb. heifers also are getting 0.5 lb. soybean meal but as they get going i'm going to wean them off the beanmeal. I don't have any factual evidence just what the feedmill told me but keeping the calcium in check should prevent any health issues caused from excessive phosphorous as well as supposedly makes it easier to grow frame. Again no concrete evidence or anything as I changed to many variables from my last bunch before that so can't nail down what gave me the extra 1/2 lb. gain per day this run.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)