AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking @ new accounting/management software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 4/7/2009 11:00 (#672251 - in reply to #670024)
Subject: Re: Looking @ new accounting/management software

Grand Rapids, MI
I don't know ofany one software that manages both the field recordkeeping/precision ag stuff and the accounting other than Farmworks. I think the main complaint of users here is about bugs in the system. I work with a client that uses Farmworks software heavily, and have run into these too. Quite frankly all of this type of software is going to have bugs. I you have been with APEX for long you know about this. I have had a couple experiences where Farmworks sometimes does not seem to know how to fix certain problems, and there is sometimes no follow-up until a new version, etc. These have been in situations where we can work around it by rolling back to an old version, etc. They really do place an emphasis on customer service, and I suspect if we were really in a bind they would have made it more of a priority.

That being said, my client is really pushing the limits of the software, 500+ employees, Millions in sales, etc. and it is working for them. Farmworks IMHO is niether the best accounting software, or the best GIS software. Isn't that life though? rarely is it possible to get the best of everything in one package. What Farmworks does well is integrate both of these functions into one package. I have a number of clients where we use an a la carte approach, with best in class software for each seperate function. It takes planning, orgaization and time to make different packages work together, especially if you haven't set this kind of stuff up before.

If your GIS needs are modest, (which if you are somewhat satisfied with APEX, I would guess they are) and you are not running a multi-division multi-million dollar enterprise, and are willing to take the time to learn and setup Farmworks properly, I suspect that it will work well for you.

*Edited to remove a statemet speculating where I shouldn't have been*

Edited by lorenk 4/8/2009 21:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)