AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

In the spirit of the final 4 Trimble VS Raven?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 4/5/2009 10:53 (#669466 - in reply to #669215)
Subject: RE: In the spirit of the final 4 Trimble VS Raven?

Sunnyside, WA
When I bought a new pull type sprayer 1 1/2 years ago, I bought a Raven Envizio Pro with a patch antenna and Accuboom (Switchpro was not available yet) and still use the Raven 450 rate controller. I really like the Envizio and accuboom and would not spray without it. Switchpro would be better, but I see no need to upgrade since I have no waterways or areas to spray around.

I looked into upgrading the Envizio to a good antenna with Omnistar and the new Smart steer. It would have been $8000 plus as near as I could get prices. The better receiver is a lot of money from Raven. I had demoed a Trimble EZ500 on Omnistar and WAAS last spring. I ended up buying a 500 with EZ Steer last week for ~$8500 instead of upgrading the Envizio Pro to Omnistar. This way I can still spray with the Envizio while the 500 is planting.

I can still put the Smart steer on the Envizio with WAAS and patch antenna for ~$4000. I have a feeling if I add more steering units it will be another Trimble though. Need to keep the units the same for the hired help. I do all of the spraying, so the Envizio is fine for me and I actually prefer its ease of use and touch screen, just not the cost when you want to move beyond WAAS.

If I were to do it again and knew what I know now, I would have started with Trimble EZ 500 and EZ Steer with EZ Boom. The cost to upgrade a Raven beyond WAAS is too expensive right now. If you are talking integrated (hydraulic) steering, it may be closer in price. I wouldn't be afraid of either one. I bought the Raven out of Iowa and I live in Washington state, and I have never had a problem with phone support. I really don't think the distance to dealer is that important since almost 90% can be taken care of over the phone. I installed the Raven myself and it took some time, but now I know exactly how it all works.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)