AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greener pastures
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WItitan2
Posted 8/2/2020 08:38 (#8410317 - in reply to #8409734)
Subject: RE: Greener pastures

Pierce county WI
I'm going to kinda bring up what I said to you the last time you did a thread like this. There are farmers that are doing just fine. I know farmers with paid for dirt that are bulletproof. The US may cut production in areas that aren't as profitable as others. Even this year, old crop there were some good sales to be had. New crop there has been some profitable levels. If the entire corn belt is great except the drought area in Iowa, then producers are going to get bailed out by bushels. If it's not, then the price will go up. The guys in the " little area" of drought are going to get paid well on crop insurance.
Now Brazil. Do you think the best land has yet to be developed? Do you think their central Illinois has yet to farmed? Probably not. So their profitability is probably slowing on the later marginal acres, much like the US. Don't you think theres probably a Brazilian farmer that wants to be the next bto that will screw his neighbors every chance? Do you think China wants to be Brazil's friend?
I get that you don't think growing row crops is a good idea for you. That's fine. It's coming across like I'm so much smarter than you row crop farmers. That's kinda coming across d**kish. So, human nature being what it is, if your gig is so much better, do you want Illinois and Iowa to do what you do? I bet 250 aph ground would grow some pretty good hay. Probably make some real good pasture too. So, if you drive a red tractor, going on a John Deere forum and saying everybody that drives a green tractor is dumb comes across kinda as being a jerk.
I'll add another thing about the Brazilian competition. When I was a kid in the 80s, (born in 78) I remember hearing how the Japanese were going to beat us like a red headed stepchild. They were smarter and willing to work harder. What happened? They built factories in other countries. As it turned out, Japanese labor doesn't want to work all the time for nothing. Then, they don't have enough workers. The US is doing ok. We've got our issues, but we're pretty lucky.

Edited by WItitan2 8/2/2020 08:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)