AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Safety of a low carb/ketogenic diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/2/2020 21:22 (#8411735 - in reply to #8411425)
Subject: RE: Safety of a low carb/ketogenic diet

Pittsburg, Kansas

Total cholesterol stayed about the same but HDL up significantly and triglycerides down significantly, both major excellent changes. LDL is mostly meaningless although it can be a marker of other problems. The thing that is important with cholesterol is the triglycerides to HDL ratio. The way to improve that ratio is to cut down on the sugar and carbs.

Blood pressure was normal whereas I was on a couple blood pressure medicines two years ago and none now.

Nothing on my blood tests got worse from the change to a keto diet. Only better. Had Dr do an insulin assay in this recent blood test and it was in single digits, which is very good. Was closer to 20 a year ago (after being on keto less than a year) and don't know what it was before that as no test. Also had him do a C-peptide test which came out very good for being diabetic.

A1c went from 7 two years ago down to 5.7 after being on the diet less than a year and 5.9 this time. Not sure why the slight increase. My fasting glucose level is still not where I want it but my 1-2 hour after meal is excellent. Liver is still probably healing or perhaps pancreas beta cells take three years to completely be replaced so may some healing to do there also.

From what I know now a doctor could not run fast enough to catch me to make me take a statin. But that is just me, not medical advice.

John

Edited by John Burns 8/2/2020 21:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)