AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let’s take a vote on Dicamba beans for 2021
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 7/10/2020 10:11 (#8365113 - in reply to #8363433)
Subject: Yes, but

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
This is a difficult issue to parse. “Here” I’m not seeing widespread dicamba injury. I don’t think it is due to the concentration of dicamba bean acres so much as guys not using dicamba during the hot season.

I used Xtendimax for the first time on Xtend beans this year. I liked using it in my burn down. I can tell you the fomesafen I used in season dinged my beans well. Liberty + PMAX + clethodim on the XtendFlex seed beans was hot enough to show. I’ve seen numerous fields around with evidence of dinging. I’m thinking there were a lot of Liberty and E3 beans grown around here.

I’m thinking there are issues with every program and am seeing some nasty waterhemp break through on some fields not far from me. It seems like a lot of weird going on with chem damage in beans. I am concerned about carryover from mesotrione.

I’m asking myself how many tillage guys in 30” rows might return to row cultivation?

I think it important to separate the Xtend genetics and the weed control products. I see no reason to ban the xtend trait but do let the market decide the gene value against E3 or what ever...... under a more restrictive dicamba application environment. I think atmospheric loading is a real possibility considering the applicable “spray days” Or Windows cause all the sprayers to load the atmosphere at once. I think there is something to the heat and humidity issue. To me the question needs to be when is it to “hot” to have fresh dicamba out there.

As a burn down in the north it should be fine. I really don’t have an answer for the south or delta areas.

The reason I don’t want to see a ban is I think we need all the tools we can available to deploy for very complex herbicide rotations.

It’s a big worthy conversation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)