AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pumpkins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 7/7/2020 18:36 (#8359923 - in reply to #8359773)
Subject: RE: pumpkins

De Forest, WI
- Buy Varieties that are resistant to powdery mildew
- Check your extension for a vegetable production guide. It will tell you what chemicals are registered in your state, production info, fertilizer requirements, etc.

There are MANY methods and not everyone does it the same. What works on your farm may not work on others.

Do you have equipment to plant seed? How many do you want to grow? What size, color, etc. do you have a market to sell them?

I produce transplants and use row crop cultivation. I do not use any herbicides. I don’t normally use any fungicides either. Try to get them done before it gets cold and rainy in the fall. I don’t know many who grow like me.

Have multiple insecticides on hand or at least one that will handle cucumber beetles and squash bugs. Determine what bugs you have in your area. Learn what they looks like and scout your field at lease every couple days when said bugs normally are present.

Depending on how many your grow make sure you have enough labor to pick, clean, pack and deliver in a timely manner. 5-10 acres will require more than just yourself. Lots of kids want good money now days and it is hard work. Adults wont do the work in most cases unless your paying really good money.

Pumpkin varieties to try:
Kratos - Harris Moran
Benchmark - Outstanding seed
Munchkin
Casperita
Snowball
Polar Bear
Moonshine
Mixture of big and small gourds
Cinderella
White ford or similar hybrid

There are hundreds of varieties and not all grow well everywhere. Local market may want one kind or another.

Look through catalogs at Johnnys, Seedway, Rispens, Jordan Seeds, Stokes, Rupp, etc.

Choose farmore treated seed if your direct seeding. Skip it if your transplanting.

Use the search feature on this forum. Lots has already been said.

Anything else?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)