AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 6/30/2020 20:52 (#8346273 - in reply to #8346033)
Subject: RE: Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans

Southern MN
Glad to hear that planting the rye thicker will help with the crimping, didn’t plan on this when we planted it last fall, will definitely plant a lot heavier if we try it again next year. I think part of the reason we don’t have many weeds is this far north we don’t get much corn stalk decay. After a late harvest last year we just worked in the rye with a light pass with the 330, so today we still probably have 70% ground cover from last years corn stalks alone. That and the fact our weed growth is probably 30 days behind the central US.

As far as other crops we will definitely try more things once we get more certified, but we are really struggling with crops to grow in the transition years. Our thoughts are that it is not worth growing a $500/acre soybean crop during the transition period, as if it increases our work load tremendously and increases our weed pressure the first year we are certified it just isn’t worth it.

If we leave the rye in the soybeans we will definitely have more than 20lbs of rye seed out there, and I am guessing that the area we will harvest will have more than that out there also, as I am not going to spend a lot of money setting the combine up for small grains on something that could be a one year experiment and is not going to yield very good because of the thin stand. So would you disk the rye straw lightly after it is harvested to get the volunteer rye to germinate than do a heavy disking late fall to control it? Was planning to wait until August to disk the stubble, before the weeds put on viable seeds. Will probably combine these later planted soybeans end of Sept, early Oct., our first killing frost date is around Oct 10.
Thanks for the replies

Edited by Jrditchdigger 6/30/2020 20:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)