AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ks_cover_crop
Posted 6/30/2020 19:02 (#8346010 - in reply to #8345944)
Subject: RE: Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans

Disclaimer I'm not an organic farmer so have no experience in that area but I do have a lot of experience with crimpers.

1. For good weed control and high termination rate the rye really needs to be seeded at 100 lbs, but the higher the better.
2. What stage was the rye? Nerds to be at least in pollination and if you can wait longer the kill will be more effective.
3. The crimper needs to be designed to have good ground contact and enough weight per foot to effectively terminate rye especially if you're trying to crimp thin stands or immature rye. Not sure what you used for a crimper but most 3pt crimpers don't hold good ground contact and do not have enough weight.
4. A few escapes shouldn't hurt yields but will lead to volunteer rye next year. If you plan to work your ground and start with a clean seed bed later in the year I don't see the rye seed being a problem if its been buried and had a chance to germinate before the final pass.

I just responded a few days ago to a different thread with my input on how to make this practice work.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=935235&mid=834...

Edited by ks_cover_crop 6/30/2020 19:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)