AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Farmer087
Posted 6/30/2020 19:15 (#8346033 - in reply to #8345944)
Subject: RE: Cereal rye, crimping and soybeans

NW IL
I haven't crimped rye yet, but I'm guessing it didn't work because it was so thin. Check out Erin Silva with UW and OGrain. They've got some great videos and resources. I'd say you are luck not to have any weeds in there yet.

I'm assuming since you crimped they have already pollinated?

A few thoughts. You could probably let it go as is and you'll end up combining the rye with the beans. Keep everything closed up to keep the seeds from blowing out the back then separate the rye out when you clean the beans. A thick stand of volunteer rye in the spring can be hard to get worked down if it gets warm and takes off. A light growth won't hurt anything, say less than 20lb/ac work is manageable in the spring if it gets tall. I'm not sure about your area, but in Northern IL the rye gets going mid May most years. When days are in the 60's and nights are in the 40's.

As for other crop options, you can truck organic crops a lot further than conventional. Often buyer pays trucking. We've trucked food grade wheat from IL to Pa, and taken soybeans up into Mn. In southern Mn you are within range of Pruis for field peas. Working with that company has challenges, but it does give you another crop to rotate. I'd bet you could find sunflower buyers out your way, and maybe even canola and flax. Look within a 5-6 hour distance and I bet you'd find a few new crops to try.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)