AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raising Cattle on Pasture with Supplemental Feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farming2018
Posted 6/26/2020 20:37 (#8338080)
Subject: Raising Cattle on Pasture with Supplemental Feed

First time poster here on AgTalk. I just bought my first farm here in NW Ohio and the farm has about 20 acres in pasture. I was going to rip it up and put it to row crop, but I decided since I'm still in my 20s it might be worth keeping it and raising cattle. Cattle are primarily raised on feedlots around here, so pasture cattle are not as common. I've looked at multiple studies and university research articles about different feeding programs and stocking rates. Obviously, like everyone one else in farming I'd like to maximize the potential in each acre. I'm planning on raising beef steers only, bringing them in around 500-600 pounds. I'm curious about what stocking rates and feed programs people are currently using. Is it a bad idea to try to stock the pasture heavy and feed the cattle with corn and supplements? There are other tillable acres on the farm and I will be raising corn, soybeans, and wheat, so I will be able to raise some feed. Also, I will be raising some hay as well on some other acres. I'm open to hearing all ideas and what works well on your operation.

I forgot to mention in the initial post:

The farm already has a building that has the water source there with access from the pasture. The building also has handling facilities in side--it's not the greatest but the previous owner used it without any issues. The pasture is currently fenced in to two 10 acre pastures.

Edited by farming2018 6/26/2020 20:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)