AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you have a camper and don't go?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 4/19/2020 11:16 (#8201965 - in reply to #8200112)
Subject: RE: Do you have a camper and don't go?

Your idea about parking a trailer in one of your private rec areas. A trailer needs to be accessible and easy to use or it can tend to be just a fast depreciating toy that gets little use. I started with a shell on the back of a 62 Ford pickup that I could sit up in but not stand up. That was traveling around the US in the 60s and leading me to Alaska. It was great for me - cheap and a place to eat and sleep. When I got married we bought an 8 foot slide in from a rancher who had been using it for his sheepherder. When we would come in from our tent camping adventures, the slide in was pure luxury. We now have a fifth wheel that we really enjoy in the summer time - I'll attach a picture of it in one of our regular BC camping spots. What would be nice is to have air conditioning and electricity - but not essential, of course. A small Honda generator is nice (they are very quiet). I have two of them - 2 kw units - that hook together and since to make one that will run our air, although we rarely need it up in BC.

Again, if you have a good use for one and it can easily be accessed and you do use it regularly, it can be a joy. In BC, we camp about a couple of minutes walk from our boat in the area we fish trout in, and the boat ride is only five or so minutes to dry fly fishing that most trout fishermen only dream about. In the other place, we camp only a few minutes walk to where we can fish salmon and steelhead. And, we spend upward of three months living in this trailer each summer. Campsites are spacious and quite private - at least for campgrounds.

I also like your idea of parking it at your grain handling site. You should have access to power there too. Probably water too, but if not, it is easy to rig up a small transfer pump and a few water jugs to siphon out of to refill the trailer tank. Waste water can just go out on the ground. You can stock it however you wish and have a comfortable place to relax whenever you have the chance.

I'm wondering too if there might not be some bargains to be had coming up - maybe late summer??

Again, I'll attach a picture. This might be overkill for you, however. But, if you find a bargain, and can use it regularly, you'll find it very nice to have. If a bargain, keep in mind that some (older?) trailers have roofs that cannot be replaced with out tearing the old one out completely and replacing it. Like i said - it can be a rapidly depreciating asset.

(IMG_3347 copy (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3347 copy (full).jpg (146KB - 100 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)