AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The cure for low prices is.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

johannes
Posted 4/8/2020 12:29 (#8173773)
Subject: The cure for low prices is.......

.....planting 75 day corn on March 30, and then double cropping soybeans immediately after.... in INDIANA!   Oh my!

Saw this on twitter - https://twitter.com/Paige_Pearl20/status/1247311184329609219

I guess if it works in Indiana, the Iowa and Illinois boys will try it too......  I know some of you guys have experience with double cropping wheat and soy, and of course South America does it every year with their safrina corn crop.  But we don't do much of it around Iowa right now....  Could it work?  

I have so many questions:  Do they put down plastic sheeting to warm the ground up like the sweet corn guys do?  How would the USDA account for a massive increase in double cropped acres if there's widespread adoption of this strategy?  Do the double crop acres get counted twice?  Does it make sense financially?  or would you just lose money on two crops instead of one?  Is there much of a yield drag for short season crops?  Late planted crops did ok last year so idk...  What if you could germinate the corn in greenhouses during February and then plant the seedlings instead of the seed so they've got a head start on growing?  That kind of machinery probably already exists for vegetables....  What kind of chemical program would work with this system?  Would crop insurance cover this type of cropping system?  Does the landlord get just one rent check or two?  Has anyone in Iowa done something like this and how did it work out?  Would any of you try this? why or why not?

Seed companies would LOVE to sell twice as much seed every year... the fuel supplier would LOVE to sell more fuel.... Fertilizer dealers and chemical companies would LOVE to sell more product...  If this works, and if it is widely adopted, this could be the start of the next step in agricultural evolution!  Thoughts?  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)