AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straightening Cat crank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 4/7/2020 12:39 (#8171608 - in reply to #8171278)
Subject: RE: Straightening Cat crank

Southern Pa.
jd4930 - 4/7/2020 09:53

We have several cats from 475-750 hp, pulling the same loads there isn't enough difference in mileage to even mention.....and $100 bill says any difference in mileage is the driver, not the truck/engine

I think you're mostly right, IF all your engines are of similiar vintage, (ie programming) Take a stock MBN or the newer Acert Cats, the low nox tune in those hurt mpgs. Like 1 mpg or more. The PDI tune is "supposed" to get about 0.5 to 0.7 mpg better than a standard "Prenox" Cat tune. It's one of their sales pitches anyway.

I used to drive one of about a dozen fleet trucks for an outfit. All equipped the same way. The dispatcher told me on the quarterly IFTA report, my truck generally did 20% better than the average of the rest, and 30% better than the worst of them. But I took fuel economy as a challenge, and did my best to drive for economy, while most of the rest of the drivers didn't really care much. I watched my idling time close, too. I don't mean to boast, just sayin.' It all adds up at the end of the day.

Good point.

Edited by JD 9400 4/7/2020 12:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)