AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pork rinds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 4/7/2020 08:43 (#8171256 - in reply to #8158907)
Subject: RE: Pork rinds

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

John Burns - 4/2/2020 17:01

I have linked these before and I almost hate to do it. Last time I did the supply got tight and the price went up to where they were to expensive so I quit ordering. Now they are back down reasonable. I think Lowreys ran out and they were only available from other sellers. Now Lowreys, the manufacturer, has them again.

Just don't make them too popular. They are our little secret. :-)  So don't tell anyone else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UP8QQ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One negative about these is that the microwave time is very critical. A little too long and they burn, too short and their will be "old maids" like popcorn. DO NOT EAT THE OLD MAIDS. They will break you teeth they are so hard and coming out the other end they have NOT softened up. Don't ask me how I know. But once you get the timing right write it on the box and they will stay pretty consistent. Our full size over the stove microwave is 1:40. They say on the box to watch expansion of the bag, but I have found that is not the easiest to judge. Adjust till you get it right. You can put the old maids back in and redo them but it is hardly worth the effort. Once you get the time right, they will turn out perfect every time. They will spoil you away from the grocery store pork rinds.

The other negative is they do not work so good in small microwaves. If they are not big enough for the bag to rotate or expand the bag properly they will not all of them turn out perfect. We run into this when traveling  in hotel rooms. We still use them, they just do not always turn out perfect like at home. Be sure to unfold the bag and shake it so the rinds are distributed around the bag, flaten it out, then put the correct side up.

They are delicious.

They have them in original and spicy. We like both but spicy the best (of course). The spicy does have just a tiny amount of non-keto in the ingredients but it is still fairly low. For the very strictest on label reading the regular are slightly better.

Pork rinds do vary from brand to brand. Also if they have been on the store shelf for a while they might not be as good. If you do not like one store brand, try another. Another thing is a person kind of acquires a taste for them. I hated the first ones I tried, but wife liked them right off. She kept buying them and I would pick at them till one day I realized I enjoyed them. Kind of the same way for both of us on sardines. I have a whole range of foods I like now that I did not previously. I think some things are just what we are not used to in the beginning, then get used to the taste and actually enjoy it over time.

John

Thought I oughtta report back on our experience. I did order a box of the microwaveable pork rinds and we first tried them last nite. With a little bit of queso. Quite good. Very, very minimal after-taste and what there was wasn't unpleasant, and them being warm, we thought, was a big plus as well, Thanks for the lead, John!!  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)