AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John B and others about the best oils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/5/2020 12:53 (#8166907 - in reply to #8166237)
Subject: I would agree

Pittsburg, Kansas

Based on what I have learned to date (probably from a lot of the same sources as you), your explanation is pretty spot on.

I surely hope we can find varieties of soybeans to help the situation of Omega 6's. Going to be hard to feed the world totally on animal fats. One doctor researcher I have ran across claims that the omega 6 in them is not as big of issue as the oxidation. He claimed the oxidation is the problem and was also not so high on generally accepted oils such as coconut and olive for the same reason. He was a big proponent on saturated animal fats such as lard. Can't remember right off hand who that was, but it was one I hold in pretty high regard.

So the jury is not completely out on this oil/fats situation. But I think what you have presented is the best course of action for those of us interested in improving our health till better, more complete information comes along. Cut out most of the seed oils and lean towards more animal fats and plant oils like coconut, olive and avocado.

Some of the gurus are over the top on keeping away from omega 6, but I take it a little less strict. I don't get worried that when we eat out my burger was cooked with a splash of soybean oil. On the other hand we no longer buy it for home use and use mostly butter and lard (bacon grease) to cook with. Where a person gets a BUNCH of vegetable oils is in things like mayonnaise and salad dressing. If a person is like me and drenches his salad in dressing, pretty easy to get a couple tablespoons of oil on the salad. I make sure it is olive or avocado oil instead of soybean oil. We often take our own dressing to restaurants (in my wife's purse) and if we forget, just ask for vinegar and use that and salt. In a higher end restaurant we might ask if it is olive oil if we request "oil and vinegar", but more often than not it is soybean oil. So we don't avoid the omega 6 oils like the plague, but we avoid them at home and in anything where their volume would be great.

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)