AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explain this ethanol detractors..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/1/2020 06:39 (#8155334 - in reply to #8154053)
Subject: RE: Confusing..

Southeast Colorado
BronsonA2150 - 3/31/2020 14:41

I ran mileage tests in my 03 Grand Prix the last few fill ups. First tank was e-30 (ish... probably a bit higher because I had to blend e10 and 85... math made it around e35 I think), second was BP premium, and third was regular unleaded no alcohol from Casey’s. I mostly drive 25 miles +/- a day back and forth to shop. Which is probably what a lot of people would do on a normal work day. First tank was 22 mpg, second was 21 (car was idling for 15-20 minutes), second was 22. I’m not seeing much if any mileage difference in any of those fuels.

If I had the money and time, I would build an engine with standard compression for pump gas for a pickup, run it a while to get an idea on mileage, then rebuild it with higher compression pistons and run it on e85 for a while and truly see what the difference would be.

The one thing that might skew your test a tad is that those e-85 pumps say "minimum ethanol content of 50%".

I blend up a makeshift e-30 when I'm at that style of pump by blending 25% e-85 and 75% e-15 when I think I've got the time. Not exactly sure where I end up since the e-85 handle says what it does about the content. I guess it leaves me thinking I'm at e-30 max........but probably a little less. I can't tell that it hurts my mileage any over running regular e-10 according to the computer on my dash. I do paper figure every tankful and keep track in a notebook in my console...........but my driving routine is very erratic on the farm so hard to compare any other way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)