AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4cylinder diesel motor clatter-bent push rods-ok ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dondozer
Posted 3/29/2020 11:07 (#8148650 - in reply to #8148072)
Subject: RE: 4cylinder diesel motor clatter-bent push rods-ok ?

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Is is possible that the head has been off before you owned it? A friend of mine had a Perkins 4 cylinder motor in a chipper. Head gasket was leaking water somewhere, never saw it. He had a buddy, said he could fix it for the money he owed him. They called me after it was together, would run, but terrible, backfire out the exhaust and intake. They didn't do any head work other than had another buddy check it if needed leveled, planed. They said it's OK, new gasket and slapped it on. without book, torques, nothing. When they disassembled it they pulled valve rockers off by just loosing the hold downs evenly and pulled them off, I do the same. When reassembling it in reverse, they tightened the hold down rocker bolts, good to go they thought. Since they didn't know the valve clearance specs, and no valve work, clearance would be OK.
Well owner now called me to bring book over and see what wrong. Pulled rocker cover off, rolled motor over, valve clearance was way, way off, on most of them, some valves were close, but most too tight. Could not figure it out, why some, not all. Push rods I assumed were all the same whether exhaust or intake, rockers were never taken off arms, nothing made sense. Only thing to due was to pull rocker arm off and pull push rods, see if anything wrong with push rods. We checked which valves were way off before removing, see if anything wrong on lifter. What we found was the stupid so called mechanic just cleaned the head and scraped all the junk down the lifter holes in the block, and on top of lifter. The guy that put it together said he did not do that, junk must have been there before and when he pulled push rods, the junk went on top of lifter.
We sucked out the lifter pockets with a long slender tube and block was clean, except head gasket material in lifter pocket. Like most motors with head on and no side cover on block, removing lifters not possible. Reassembled push rod and rockers, run the rack, set all valves, checked torque on head bolts. Motor run perfect, lucked out, no push rods bent or valve.
So in your case, see if anything on top of lifter in block. Maybe someone dropped something in the holes and holding push rod up off the seat in the lifter. I know nothing about that motor, cam timing could be off, but if that, I wouldn't think it would even start. Over speed would have to be way high before bending push rods. Rocker arms free on rocker shaft.
Post a follow up when you find out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)