AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kinze Half Width & AL Clutch Module
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/22/2020 07:30 (#8127558 - in reply to #8126352)
Subject: RE: Long reply

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Glad to hear you seemed to have gotten to the bottom of it. When I worked as a tech, I did see a few module failures but not many. As mentioned above you can do a fair amount of testing now in the shed. With the planter UP, when you turn the Ag Leader display ON, you should be able to hear the clutch modules activate the relays which in turn should activate the clutches to disengage. I didn't mention before but maybe it would be wise to put a HD switch as well as a fuse in the high current 12V from the battery which actually cycles the Kinze Clutches. This is probably not absolutely necessary but could be used to kill the power to the clutches when not planting for added peace of mind.

With the planter down or implement switch stub jumpered, Auto swath inactive or OFF, Master and section switches ON the clutches should revert to engaged as this is how the system should behave during the majority of the time. Flipping one section switch OFF should cause that clutch to disengage while the other remains engaged. Try this with the other section switch OFF. With the Master OFF, both clutches should disengage whether a section switch is ON or OFF. If all this seems to work as described your wiring would seem to be correct.

Again a reminder that when you are actually planting you will want auto swath active or ON for the majority of the time. Sometimes operators have a problem if they have a boundary for the field and if they drive slightly outside the boundary, the system may shut off an outer section inappropriately. This should not be a problem for you since your sections are quite wide. This can happen for me with two row sections if my boundary is quite different then where I want to plant this year. The answer for me to guarantee no surprises is to make the first pass with auto swath inactive.

Also remember to check the various measurements and Look Ahead Turn ON and TURN OFF times as these all are involved to determine when auto swath turns the clutches ON and OFF. The suggested values may work just fine but may need to be tweaked slightly. If you need to change them significantly, then some measurement may be incorrect. You must literally dig for the seed to determine if this is working properly. Try to be consistent in your turn around techniques.

I remember talking with one of our first section control customers several years ago. He said he noticed that the majority of the time that it worked very well for him but there were certain areas where there were problems on the headlands and there was a gap. He said that after thinking about this, he realized those were the areas where his older retired brother had driven the planter while the customer drove School Bus in the afternoon. He hadn't thought about it until then but he and his brother had vastly different techniques when they turned around on the ends. I try to be very consistent when I turn around so as to work With the system rather than Against it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)