AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Terminating Rye Cover Crop - NE Ohio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 3/19/2020 11:59 (#8119074 - in reply to #8118176)
Subject: RE: Terminating Rye Cover Crop - NE Ohio

Oilfarmer - 3/19/2020 07:45

I've burned it at 18 inches a couple weeks prior with no problem. Seeded at 60#. Sometimes ran a Supercoulter. Some notill.  Never had taller than that.

I like the 18" limit for rye height when going to corn. If the rye is terminated before it joints and you avoid the lignin stage, the rye will decompose super fast.
I try to plant corn early so usually I can plant green and terminate the rye the day of planting with glypho. I wouldn't take the risk of not terminating the rye either before or after the corn is planted ASAP. I'm also planting on NH3 strips, so there's a significant reduction of rye residue in the corn planting zone. Adding extra N at planting time is a good plan to help with the N used in the rye decomposition process .

With beans, a lot longer window imo. You can delay the rye termination after planting beans if you so choose with less negative yields concerns. Last year I drilled beans green into ankle high rye the last week of April, then didn't terminate the now mostly knee high rye till mid-May after most the beans were emerged. The yield was still good, with no significant difference in yields between the soybeans in fields where I had covers or a couple NHEL fields where I didn't have a cover crop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)