AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dishwasher machinery (pump)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 3/3/2020 20:13 (#8080656)
Subject: Dishwasher machinery (pump)

KY
Wife tells me two nights ago dishwasher sounds odd... ours is almost silent except at first fill so noticeable when it changes. She said it cleaned fine so I wrote it off. Last night she says nothing is clean and the top rack isn’t even wet. We get it unloaded and I jump the door switch out to run it and sure enough, just a trickle out of the lower rotary arm and nothing out of the next two up. Noise sounds like a light grind for lack of better description. I get it all apart, figured either the suction was plugged or something caught in the impeller, etc. Strainer was clean, pump clean, had to really mess with it to find it. The impeller is plastic of course, and the motor has a metal shaft with a 1/2 flat to turn the impeller. Deal is, there’s no hub in the plastic impeller, the impeller is just cut to fit the shaft. Fast forward 5 years of running 4x a week or more, and that shaft had finally rounded out the center of the impeller. There’s some resistance, but you can slip it real easy with the pump empty. Hours’ worth of research and we have one of the few models on earth that has its very own unique setup not used by other models so the parts just aren’t there. They never sold an impeller separate. Can get the whole works, circulation and drain pumps and motors, mounted to a new sump with seal for $130-140, or can find new circ pump and motor for $125... but no bare pump or impeller. Unreal. I had some two-part off brand epoxy that I tried, let it sit overnight. Early this morning I found a used pump motor combo on eBay the guy swears the pump and impeller are good and the photos are good, so for $32 shipping and all it’s on it’s way, I plan to put that impeller on my pump as the motor on that one doesn’t look near like new like mine does. So, before I put the new to me impeller on, is there any sort of adhesive that will help stick that impeller on that shaft tighter so those violent instant starts don’t round it out quickly (don’t know how many thousands of starts it’s already seen)? I toyed with the idea of putting a sort of set screw through the old one, but not way to drill it without going through an impeller vane, and I doubt that plastic would hold a set screw snug for long anyway, not to mention the imbalance it would cause, may lose my motor quicker doing that. May last another year or two which would be a-ok, if all else is god when this one fails I’ll put the new sump assembly in it because it’s a heck of a cleaner, just couldn’t stomach $130 on a $3 impeller without trying to fix it cheaper first.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)