AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

older laptop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

rosiesdad
Posted 2/2/2020 05:48 (#8015934 - in reply to #8014957)
Subject: RE: older laptop

Western-Central Lower Michigan
Ive not worked around a Enterprise version of Windows, so dont know the the info below applies. Google for info.
A Dell with a genuine copy of windows 7, can easily be upgraded to windows 10. You must be online when starting the upgrade.
I do not believe you can get a upgrade to a "authenticated" windows 10 without being "authenticated" windows 7 or windows 8.
Go on youtube and watch videos on how to do the upgrade.
If I were doing what you are trying, I would add the SSD, install windows 7 or 8(buy a Dell DVD off ebay-must be Dell branded to get authenticated) then do the upgrade. UNLESS the computer has had a installation of windows 10 (Genuine) or perhaps if it came with Windows 8 (that may default to authenticate Windows 10). Once a computer has been upgraded and Authenticated to windows 10 you can just reinstall windows 10 directly anytime without jumping through the upgrade stuff.
A computer must be "Authenticated" by microsoft's servers when online. (hence being online with Windows 7 or 8 to upgrade to Windows 10). Microsoft will know you were authenticated when you started the upgrade, and most likely upgrade you to Windows 10.

The Dell sticker on the laptop will say what operating system you must install with a DELL disk, start there. If no sticker, google your computer laptop model and see what it came with. There also may be a different sticker with a dell service tag to look up on the (support.dell.com) site.
By the way "technically" only the original owner of a Dell or HP machine has rights to the operating system. Just so you know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)