AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case 5250 tractor,..what can you tell me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lar
Posted 3/4/2009 20:52 (#631891 - in reply to #631635)
Subject: RE: Case 5250 tractor,..what can you tell me?

Eastern Ontario
I have a 5130, same basic tractor but earlier series and without turbo (85hp) I believe the 5250 is about 115hp. Bought mine as a one owner with 2,500 hrs. Mine, without question is the worst PIECE OF JUNK I have ever owned. Partly I blame the dealer I bought it from which, in my opinion, shafted me on the deal.

The injection pump was apparently "rebuilt" when I bought it. I just totally rebuilt it last winter again (3yrs, 800 hrs latter) because it had only 58hp on dyno. It was in the shop because the rear main crank seal went and pushed all engine oil into tranny. Very lucky I didn't seize it up. Total bill was $5K by the time I got it back home. The emergency brake (which never worked from time I bought it, and I was told it did, just needed adjustment which they said they did) was to be adjusted again last winter while in shop. I was informed then the brake was totally done. To fix, they had to split the tractor in a second location. Quoted me 24hrs labour.

The previous owner had it split to fix some pin that broke on the PTO driveline. I now have around 3,400 hours on it. The hyraulic system doesn't function in cold temperatures. Acts like it is starving for oil. The number 2 outlet doesn't function - it only lets oil seep through sometimes rather than full flow. Mechanic can't figure it out. After getting it back from the shop last winter, I didn't think it had any more power than before it when in. The shop manager told me it was fine when it left and wouldn't send a mechanic out to assess ... unless I paid for service call and time.

I am absolutely sour on Case IH from this experience. I researched before buying this thing and everyone kept saying "bullet proof". Well, take it from my experience, there is no such thing. I don't question others have gotten good service from the tractors they have, I suspect I got the lemon of the bunch. But personally I hate this tractor and despise the CaseIH dealership.

You can't be guarantee'd it won't be a lemon, but make sure the local dealership is reputable. If they are, and aren't the ones selling the tractor, invest in a "winter tune up" program inspection. They will go over the tractor and itemize problems or repairs needed. Up here it is about $600. Money well invested in my opinion. Good luck

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)