AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hypothetically speaking, if farming is deep in your blood but u decided to quit, What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 6/17/2019 21:30 (#7565429 - in reply to #7564935)
Subject: RE: Hypothetically speaking, if farming is deep in your blood but u decided to quit, What would you

SW “Ohia”
andyfarmer,

Well, I already work an off-farm job, and don’t see that changing anytime soon. But the farming will never go away. It can’t. I have a responsibility to my ancestors and descendants to continue.

I’ve often pondered what I would do if I didn’t have a connection like that. If there was no reason to stay here, the possibilities are endless. If I hit the lottery (don’t play...so won’t happen), I would probably take a couple years and travel the world working ag jobs for fun. There is so much to see and do. These are just some examples. Every place has interesting stuff!

Drive a potato truck in Idaho. Run a grain cart in the Palouse Mountains of Washington. ANYTHING in the Central Valley of California. Pick cherries in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. Harvest winter vegetables in Arizona. Pull a baler in the high desert of Nevada baling irrigated alfalfa. Help brand calves in Wyoming. Pick melons in Texas. Combine wheat on the great plains of Oklahoma or Montana. Dig peanuts in Georgia. Cut rice in Arkansas. Pull sweet corn in South Florida. Dig sugar beets in Minnesota. Pick apples in Michigan. Tap maple syrup in Vermont. Harvest wild blueberries in Maine.

Internationally? New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Great Britain, Continental Europe have a ton of things that are absolutely fascinating.

I’d like to start taking a week or two of vacation every year from work to do stuff like this. Hard part is making the connection with folks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)