AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nutrients/lick tubs guys are using?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/5/2019 22:06 (#7543704 - in reply to #7543644)
Subject: RE: Nutrients/lick tubs guys are using?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Galaxie64 - 6/5/2019 21:41
bacon - 6/5/2019 08:13 Galaxie, do you run any mineral in summer. I have tried running lick tubs in summer and didn’t notice better conception rates. Good way to waste money if you have good grass in my opinion.
Of course, cows have access to mineral and salt all year round. This thread is not about mineral it is about a 30% protein tub that a neighbor wants others to chip in on and get his prices down. Protein tubs of any kind are the absolute most expensive protein one can feed and are not a supplement for mineral.

I totally agree with Galaxie. I had not noticed in the OP that these are 30% protein lick tubs! On any sort of decent pasture there should be no need for a high protein lick tub in summer, if at all even in winter if feeding 8% protein or higher hay. And that 30% protein is probably mostly cheap urea.

The Mineral-lyx tubs I use are only  4% protein and  most likely have 4% because they couldn't get it any lower with the molasses hard base!

I keep a MINERAL tub (NOT a protein tub) out year round because our Driftless area soils are deficient in selenium and several other micro nutrients. These and vitamins make a tremendous difference in conception rates, successful unassisted calving and young calf health especially.I have tried several dry minerals and have not been successful with any of them. They end up untouched as rocks. I believe most of the dry mineral sold in this area is meant to be mixed in a ration of some sort, not put out dry. Must be!

Salt is a separate need and imho should not be used to encourage or regulate consumption of mineral. I use pure white $6.00 50 lb salt blocks in trays.

Edited by Jim 6/5/2019 22:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)