AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do You Have A Death Book?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 6/5/2019 06:55 (#7542238)
Subject: Do You Have A Death Book?

Northern Illinois
Sorry if the title sounds morbid but didn't know how else to phrase the issue. Do you have written instructions to your family concerning what they should do if something happens to you. The questions about Farm Managers brings this to the forefront again to me. I am a almost 60 year old sole proprietor farming operation. I have a wife and 2 daughter who all have advanced degrees and are successful in life. They are just not involved with the farm. I have told my wife if I die tomorrow there are a couple of neighbors who I would trust to be honest with her on renting the farm. Otherwise I told her to hire a Farm Manager.

If you have a death book what is in it? I was thinking it should have.
Wife knows our lawyer from doing estate work.
Location of land titles
List loans
List of bank accounts
Commodity account information
Retirement account information
Location of safety deposit key
Life insurance information
Vehicle title location
Auctioneer information
Insurance information
Accountant contact information

Many of those things my wife could just sit down and say yes I know our insurance agent so I will just call him and he can tell me or she will say I know our accountant I just need to look up his contract information. Just thinking it would be wise to have everything in one location all neat and tidy.

Other stuff that needs to be included?

Had a friend suddenly die recently and his wife joined us for dinner Sunday and she was discussing just the normal things that are difficult because she just doesn't know who to call because her husband handled most things. Simple things like what plumber to call or what electrician.

Edit to add. Simple reminders like cover the well pit in November.

Edited by jonas grumby 6/5/2019 06:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)