AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap, 5Hz or better, WAAS capable, GPS receivers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/27/2019 06:52 (#7460956 - in reply to #7460728)
Subject: RE: Cheap, 5Hz or better, WAAS capable, GPS receivers?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
KMech - 4/26/2019 22:15

I found some more Garmin 16A's on ebay. I don't think they've ever been used.

I put a DB9 connector on the cable and hooked it up to my InCommand. It works, and gets WAAS, but apparently NMEA VTG isn't turned on, so it doesn't get speed. I've done this, a long time ago, so I know I have to connect it to a computer and use a program to configure NMEA sentences, baud rates, and the like. I figured it out years ago, I'll do it again when I have time. When it's done, I'll have a few cheap receivers that are good enough for guidance on a fertilizer buggy, or just general monkeying around on a Gator.

What you describe is what I had done also. Wire up a DB9 so that the Garmin plugs into an Ag Leader display harness or directly into the old displays. This would be the wrong sex to plug into a computer which is good. I then made an adapter where one end plugged into the DB9 that I had previously attached to the Garmin. The other end went to the computer and the Rx/Tx swap was required. A 12V power/ground needed to branch out of that adapter to receive 12v power/ground for the Grmin during the reprogramming. This 12V could come from a battery or power supply. All grounds must be common.

Then the Garmin Config program is run on the computer which allows you to change the settings. In your case, the setting must be very close with the exception of turning on VTG. I believe my Garmin 17N was configured with the Garmin Protocol to work with a Garmin display in a boat. It was possible to get it to work fine but I needed to make more changes.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=925

Edited by tedbear 4/27/2019 10:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)