AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap, 5Hz or better, WAAS capable, GPS receivers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/21/2019 12:19 (#7451443 - in reply to #7451391)
Subject: RE: Cheap, 5Hz or better, WAAS capable, GPS receivers?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
KMech - 4/21/2019 11:40

Well, used GPS1500's in my area seem to move around at about $500, so certainly under that. The $50-ish I dropped on the one I got on ebay is a number I really like, but we all know ebay isn't always a repeatable deal.

Since I'm not doing "real" work with it, the cheaper, the better.

Way back when I was using a PF3000, I bought a Garmin 17N. The "N" stood for nautical and was able to tolerate saltwater so I thought that sounded good for service on the farm. I get eventually get it to work and it worked fine with the PF on a combine without any guidance section control or anything like that. It used WAAS for correction.

I did a search on Garmin 17N and 16a. It appears to me that these have been discontinued although there may be some around.

The stumbling block for me (until I waded through it) was that the Garmin came configured to output GPS information in the Garmin format which their fish locators and other nautical equipment used. The unit could be configured to output NEMA at various speeds and with various messages. The PF seemed to prefer or maybe require a BAUD rate of 4800 with GGA and VTG only.

To change the configuration required connecting the Garmin to a PC and using a free Garmin Config program on the computer.

This model came with loose wires and no connector of any type. I researched this and was able to wire on a 9 pin connector that mated nicely with the PF3000. It should work with more modern Ag Leader devices since they have continued to use the same wiring pattern. At that point I was good to go except for the programming part.

I then created a programming adapter cable that mated with the 9 pin connector that I had soldered onto the Garmin. The programming adapter feed the Tx and Rx signals to another 9 pin that mated with the computer but branched the 12 Power/ground to an outside branch.

To program the Garmin, I plugged in my adapter and plugged it into a 9 pin connector on the computer and also provided 12V/ground in to the Garmin with a 12V battery. I was then ready to use the Garmin Config program to change the Garmin output. The problem then was that there were lots of options and I didn't really know what I needed. I was eventually successful. This turned out to be a lot of work and research for a one time deal. Fortunately it did work fine for the combine.

I mentioned this here at the time and another Ag Talker sent me his Garmin 17 or maybe a 16A which was the same situation. Since I had the adapter cable already made and the settings were fresh in my mind, it only took a short time to reconfigure his. I believe it worked for him. When I went with an Insight I got a higher end GPS since I wanted to do auto steering. I sold the PF3000, Garmin 17N and combine parts to a neighbor who had the same combine as I had. This was several years ago.

I believe at one time there was a company who would sell a similar Garmin already wired like I did and already configured for Ag Leader. This was a bit more expensive but probably worth the trouble of learning and making an adapter cable for a one time deal.

Edited by tedbear 4/21/2019 13:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)