AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

will this work?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 3/21/2019 15:02 (#7393438 - in reply to #7393272)
Subject: RE: will this work?

southern MN
I’m to believe the high calcium content of the dirt here allows perc, as well as some small bit of loam in the homogenized glacial till topsoil we farm.

Anything with a round blade got parked in the grove back in the 70s here to be used in special times only, anything with shanks seem to work much better in our dirt. We are probably just scared of blades from past history. For about 3 years rolling baskets were popular; I do not see any any more anywhere. Rolling bean ground is really popular, ground is 2-3 days drier by then.

I do about as many covers as anyone, my small grain patches. They really don’t help much for drainage or loosening the soil ‘here’ that I can tell but then I still do tillage. The county to my west I see a lot more trying them on the slightly sandier loam soils, and my county to the SE I attended a demonstration of different types of covers they are trying to work with on their loamier soils.

Conditions like this is just hard to work with in the non growing season. Not much will overwinter in this. Maybe we should just be thrown off the land and not farm here; but when it dries and warms eventually it sure can raise a good crop before the frost hits in fall, and a drier summer is even better for us we can really shine.

Paul

Edited by paul the original 3/21/2019 15:11

(BBB30564-6DE6-4585-B57F-353F004D35FF (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BBB30564-6DE6-4585-B57F-353F004D35FF (full).png (78KB - 137 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)