AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RE: Second Day Land Auction Results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 3/17/2019 21:41 (#7386405 - in reply to #7386317)
Subject: RE: Second Day Land Auction Results

USA
mikeswoh - 3/17/2019 20:05

While NH is putting on a lot of fertilizer his soil probly isn't blessed with a natural fertility that yours or mine is, actually I've never been in Pennsylvania and thought I would like to move here to farm no offense NH. I can understand wanting to pay too much for the place next door but at my age I have seen enough bad crops and problems to realize there's other ways to make money besides farming. Coup you're justifying paying too much for farmland because you can afford it and telling yourself you're saving 50 to a $100 per year over your career but aint that the same as saying what if you sold your grain for a quarter more or bought your fertilizer are $25 per ton less. The 100 acre 2 million dollar farm paid in cash will over 20 years at a 1% return become 2.4 million while that same 2 million dollars invested at a 10% annual return over 20 years will become just under 8.8 million. Is this mentality what keeps farmers millionaires instead of billionaires? Have we discovered the glass ceiling? Shiny paint and $20k/ ac land?

Well am not running around paying a big premium to buy ground, only couple pieces would be willing to pay a big premium. A lot of things a lot of farmer's do are more costly over their farming career than paying an extra $1 million on 100 acres. Some folks collect cars, tractors, art , etc. Some would rather collect Farmland which produces yearly income, can't say that about the others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)