AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

iPad Air II locking up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/1/2019 07:40 (#7351570 - in reply to #7350225)
Subject: RE: iPad Air II locking up

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Back to the iPad. I went ahead and used iTunes and made a backup. I then installed the latest version of IOS. This is slow through iTunes but it eventually finished the download step. The verify step with iTunes seemed to hang. I tied this again with no success. Maybe part of the problem is that I am impatient. There are times when things are happening but I don't see any screen activity such as a status bar on iTunes which leads me to believe that it has hung up.

In frustration I called Apple support. Surprisingly I could understand the agent quite well although I suspect he was in a foreign country. To his credit he stuck with me and explained some things while we waited. Eventually the iPad became operational with the new IOS but had been reset to somewhat "like new" state. This was not exactly a like new state since the iPad warned me that it had been registered and that I would need to use the Apple ID and Password to continue. This is an effort to prevent stolen iPads from becoming operational for someone else.

I asked the GF for her Appple ID and password. She was not at home so we did this over the phone. She did not give me the correct Apple ID and password. Later she took the iPad and apparently entered in the correct values as it came back to life. It did not contain her downloaded apps as they had been wiped out with the reset. I was able to use iTunes to restore from yesterday's backup. This appears to have been successful although there are a few apps that are cloud based that need the password.

I think there may be a problem with the iPad in the lightning connector. While on a trip last week, we used this iPad for navigation with the Apple Maps App. When the iPad is plugged into my Ford Edge with the lightning to USB cable, the voice prompts from the Apple Map App should go to the car radio system. This works properly with my iPad Pro but did not work properly with her iPad Air II. Without the connection the voice prompts come out of the iPad speakers with either iPad. This leads me to believe there may be a connection problem. I have had to clean the connector on my iPhone due to lint, dirt etc. I tried this with the suspect iPad with no improvement.

As far as updates to the operating system, it is possible to set the devices to download and install IOS updates automatically. The Apple tech recommended doing them this way rather than using the iTunes method. With the automatic method, the updates are downloaded via WiFi at night. This means that they are done without any intervention on the user's part. To turn this ON go to Settings/General/Software Update and slide the switch to ON.

Edited by tedbear 3/1/2019 09:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)