AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Raven question...Ted or?? please help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/7/2009 08:25 (#599727 - in reply to #599659)
Subject: RE: Another Raven question...Ted or?? please help

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
There are two versions of the Raven 700 - the old and the new.

The old version (which you may have) had a 16 pole connector for the majority of the wiring and a small connector for the speed input.

The newer version had the 16 pole connector again and the small connector for the speed input but also a 14 pin connector and a serial port. The console cable that is usually used for the newer style has a 16 pole and a 14 pole at the console end and terminates into a 22 pin and a 16 pin. This cable part number ends with '861. I just repaired one of those yesterday.

The 700 is often used for chemical injection where the injection is handled by product 2. The extra wires on the newer situation deal with injection alarms and more booms (Model 710).

This might explain your confusion with the product and the documentation.

I'm quite sure you must have the older model - Holding the CE key on the older box did not force the console in the CAL mode. Holding the Self-Test key for a very long time will cause those units to go into CAL mode.

Does your 700 have a 9V battery box? If so it is an older version. With those models it is easiest to just remove the fuse for 10 seconds or so without a 9V battery installed. The console will then lose its memory and go into CAL mode.

The new versions had several more programming options and are much more desirable. The old ones really have little value although they may work just fine. We have several sitting on the shelf and just use them for parts as many parts are the same as other models.

Even if you have the older style 700, this really doesn't explain your sensor issues. Why one would work and the other not is confusing. I really think you need to swap the sensors or the connectors to try to draw some conclusions. The fact that the part numbers between the two sensors are one digit different leads me to conclude that they are not exactly the same although they may look so from the outside world.

The difference might be in the anticipated speed range. As you have speculated the optical disk inside the sensors might be different. The DJ sensors often use a disk with alternating black/white stripes. Different disks are used to work with different speed ranges. If the shaft turns slowly then the optical disk would need more pairs of the black/white stripes so it produces more pulses per revolution. If a "slow" sensor is used in a fast situation, the black/white stripes may go by so fast that the sensor can't read them.

Edited by tedbear 2/7/2009 08:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)