AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric fence question?..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/31/2018 19:38 (#7210671 - in reply to #7210047)
Subject: RE: Electric fence question?..

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Grasseed - 12/31/2018 15:59 My wife and I spent Saturday putting up a new electric fence around her goat pasture. When we finished I checked the fence and my tester read 7.5 Kv. Today we had two goats out, they got put back, and I tested it again and it read 3.3 Kv. I walked the fence and didn't find any issues, so I tested the charger with the fence unhooked and it read 8.1 Kv. I hooked the fence back up and it was back to 3.3. I am ignorant and electric fencing, what do I check next? BTW, it is a new 1.2 joules charger, rated for 15 miles of fence. We have about 3/4 mile of wire in this fence. TIA

A "1.2 joule" fence charger may read good voltage but doesn't have much energy storage so any little weed, grass, etc contact really drains it down.  It doesn't take much of a short or weed contact to drop a small charger from 8 to 3 kV.  Volts are cheap, joules are not in fencers.

Esp with goats I think you need something much stronger, 6 joule is a good size. Ignore the "miles" rating.  The problem is once they find they can ignore the little jolt from your small charger, its harder to train them to stay in even with a much larger one.

Regardless, a directional fault finder along with very good grounds are important to any electric fence system.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)