AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice for harvesting really bad down corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 12/12/2018 19:53 (#7167307 - in reply to #7167247)
Subject: RE: Advice for harvesting really bad down corn

I feel your pain it's not a pleasant experience or one that anyone would ever want to go through voluntarily.

Plastic snoots make a big difference as long as there is enough standing to keep things moving. Muddy wet stalks don't flow well either. Roll A Cones will do miracles but corn still needs to be attached at the root/ground. Reel is probably the best option to drag it in with corn head. Just need to keep a close eye on things as far as mud balls being pulled in since it is detached from ground. You will likely build up mud up in elevator, grain tank, sieves as well as generally very poor flowing corn due to extra mud dirt. It's very hard on elevator chains and increases internal wear on combine components quickly as well.

Perhaps an older smaller platform than you normally run to help digest all the extra material also a reel with steel fingers would be more aggressive in gather and feeding it in.

When I fought through this very slow speeds and allowing machinery to work was the best thing I could do. Several fields were harvested in 1 direction only and the speed readout frequently read 0.0 mph (that is not a typo !)

Patience is key and don't do dumb things like letting the head run trying to get stuff fed in

Stress and frustration levels were extremely high for me on top of losing my Dad that fall as well. It was the longest slowest harvest ever.

In the end I was able to get about 95%+ of normal yields picked up off the ground but it was mostly all still attached at the roots.

Good luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)