AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feel the need to rant a little
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lauritsenag
Posted 12/12/2018 18:07 (#7166995 - in reply to #7166315)
Subject: RE: Feel the need to rant a little

Sorry, but I got a kick out of your rant. I retired from a corporate job 5 years ago to take over the family farm after my cousin who was farming it suddenly passed away. The first year other than a newer NH tractor which was mine, I farmed with their machinery which I purchased. The first year I spent $19,000 in parts to run app 550 acres of row crop plus some hay ground. I provided all labor. Since then I have purchased a new tractor, new baler and several pieces of nice used equipment. I don't buy new unless it is an extremely good deal. (year end holdover, went off floorplan, so dealer wants it gone etc.). My theory is a payment, warranty, nicer equipement is worth a payment especially when it is less than repair costs. Not to mention tax benefits etc. here's the funny part, a relatives wife who I rent some farm ground from thinks I making way to much money as I bought a new pickup (my old one was 9 years old) and a used combine last year. Funny thing is she has bought 5 different cars in the last 5 years. So I guess I'm paying her too much rent? Farmers are like everybody else, some are good managers, some are not. Some you may think they have money, when they don't, others wear bibs, drive old trucks look like they might not be able to fill their tank with fuel, but may be worth millions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)