AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole building foundations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd-tom
Posted 12/11/2018 23:03 (#7165418)
Subject: Pole building foundations

SW Minnesota

I am thinking about putting up a 60' x 80' pole building in 2019. My first choice for the foundation would be a frost wall-type poured concrete foundation, but with current grain prices, that's too much money. So I have researched some alternatives and would like some opinions on what I have come up with.

And before I get started here, I am NOT interested in anything that involves wood posts in the ground.

Option #1
Concrete columns poured into an 18" to 20" diameter hole around 4' deep. Then when the concrete is still wet, install steel anchor brackets such as these:

www.midwestpermacolumn.com/products/concrete-anchor-brackets/sturdi-wall-plus-wet-set-concrete-anchor-brackets

Here is a video of how these are installed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVwUl4cm8fQ

Option #2 
Precast concrete Perma-Column. I think most people who have any experience with pole buildings know what these are. Drill a hole similar to Option #1, put a concrete "cookie" in the bottom of the hole, set in the Perma-Column, plumb and level, then backfill hole with dirt, pea gravel, etc.

www.permacolumn.com/products/perma-column

Option #3
This is something a bit newer that I ran across - the Strong Way Systems column.

https://www.strongwaysystems.com/solutions/new-construction

Drill a post hole the same as Options 1 and 2. Install one of these columns in each hole and plumb it. Then there is a long bolt with a "foot" on the end that sits on the ground in the bottom of the hole. Using a laser level, you turn the long bolt up or down with a battery impact wrench and set each column level. Then you brace each one both directions and pour concrete in the hole around it. When you have all the holes poured, you go around one last time before the concrete sets and check each column one more time with the laser level, making any adjustments up or down with the impact wrench on the long bolt in the center.

Each one of these options has pros and cons, but I think any of these would work for my situation. I do like the fact that I can do any of these myself with minimal specialized equipment. The frost wall foundation I would have to hire someone to do that, increasing the cost of that option even more. 

So if you have experience with any of these options, I'd like to hear about it. Thanks!

Edited by jd-tom 12/11/2018 23:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)