AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ear infection or mycoplasma?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MichBeef
Posted 12/12/2018 04:35 (#7165522 - in reply to #7165313)
Subject: RE: Ear infection or mycoplasma?

Breckenridge, MI
I hate myco. Seriously.

What you describe does sound like myco - and it's a hard thing to treat. The bacteria can colonize in lots of places besides just the lungs (joints, ear canals, etc) so an antibiotic like draxxin that works mainly in the lungs will provide some relief but will probably set them up to relapse. Nuflor is my choice for that because its more systemic, but even with that you're probably looking at multiple rounds. The other thing that makes myco hard to treat is that it doesn't have a cell wall so antibiotics that work by attacking the cell wall are ineffective (excede, excenel, naxcel, penicillin). The only antibiotics with label claims for myco are Nuflor, Baytril, and Draxxin.

As for vaccines against it, most have low efficacy. There are guys using autogenous ones that seem to like them, when we had an outbreak last year we had some strands isolated in case we decided to make a vaccine in the future but the minimum order was like 2,000 doses and I still am not sure it would work. I've tried the Myco-B one dose vaccine with mixed results - the first group of 80 to get it had 2 pulls and 1 dead, the second group of 120 had close to 50% pulls, >10% deads, and several chronics when it was all said and done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)