AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I see a lot of retirement auctions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kzks
Posted 11/12/2018 20:18 (#7102196 - in reply to #7102049)
Subject: i did

58 years old. Not old enough to retire but had lost bout half my rented ground in the last 5 years do to absentee landlords seeing big money in land prices lately and selling out. . Wanted to quit in 15 but my banker talked me out of it. .Drive around the country and every elevator has a big pile of grain on the ground year after year. Land impossible to rent. Fall of 16 told my banker I was quiting and nobody gonna change my mind. Harvested my last crop in 17 and started pedeling machinery. Rented my land to a good friends young sons and got a job with him as a machinery operator.He was able to rent a large portion of my rented ground. Was it hard. Yep. Hardest decision I ever made. But it was right for me. I get to run nice machinery, don't have to worry bout the bills, working with a great family that understands I have some physical limitations with wore out knees and joints.The old saying [ Gonna farm tell I die but will die before I work for another farmer] kinda went out the window. Didn't have enuff land to not be pounding my head against the wall year to year and didn't want to go backward. Now the biggest problem is getting out and not giving it all to uncle sam. It was hard but it's working out I hope. It's a hard time in a farmers life when it comes time to make that decision and I hope no one is forced to by a banker or anyone else for that matter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)