AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Troubleshooting clean grain elevator shaft speed sensor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/8/2018 07:14 (#7033242 - in reply to #7028911)
Subject: RE: Troubleshooting clean grain elevator shaft speed sensor?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had such as system on a 9500 myself and it did work properly. As you have surmised a tee in the Ag Leader wiring goes between the original Deere wiring and the shaft sensor. This means the output of the shaft sensor should go to the Deere system as original and also to the Ag Leader wiring eventually leading to the Advantage. The Advantage like the YM2000 and PF3000 were pre-CAN systems so they did not use modules like the newer CAN systems do.

The Ag Leader needs the clean grain elevator input. At full throttle no load, mine would indicate 425 RPM and drop down some while combining. The system needs to see 250 RPM before it will start logging yield. Your observation of around 3000 RPM indicates a definite problem. I believe the problem is with the Ag Leader side of things as your observations seem to indicate that the combine indications are correct with the tee out of the circuit.

The shaft sensor is the same as others on the combine so swapping it with another would be fairly easy and worth a try. I feel the Advantage or the wiring is creating false extra pulses which are being read by the Deere side of things causing the combine indicators to misbehave. I believe that the systems use a short to ground to create the pulses. If so, a bare wire that is shorting to ground due to vibration might explain the excessive elevator speed value. I suppose this could be happening internally in the Advantage. Temporarily swapping in another display might lead to some conclusion. A YM2000, PF3000 or another Advantage could be used.

When I worked as a Tech, a Coworker had a problem with that sensor on his own combine. I don't recall the exact symptoms or solution but I think a different sensor was the answer.

Concerning a bare wire causing an intermittent short was part of an AC problem I have been fighting with my current combine. Some wires had rubbed bare inside a loom and were sometimes shorting out one of the wires but not always. This made the problem difficult to trace.

Edited by tedbear 10/8/2018 07:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)